frolic

May 19, 2014

New York City Day 3 - Play Day

We got up bright and early to have breakfast and then meet our tour guide for a private tour of NYC.

We started out from the hotel and headed toward Carnegie Hall, which they are renovating the outside of.



That's our tour guide in the beige jacket. This was also before the rain started. And NEVER stopped.

One of the random buildings along our route with some serious art.


Then we headed into Central Park.  Yes, THE Central Park.  I've always wanted to go there.

Since I've begun this new 'healthstyle' and have been running, all I could see were people running ALL over this place.  Really, all over NYC.  You never saw an overweight person there, well, that wasn't a tourist!  You walk or run everywhere.

Here is the Trump ice rink. They were having lessons.  We thought we saw a few future Olympians.

Supposedly, Yuko Ono lives in that Penthouse with the green roof.

More proof that I was there!  And before it rained and got colder!

Just a few friends checking out the tourists.


This is some park he told us about but I can't remember all the details now.  Must not have been that impressive!  The FAO Swartz store is just ahead there.  And no, we didn't have time to go in. BOO.


This is the Plaza Hotel.  I've read the play about it so I thought it was neat, minus the construction cone thingy.

Tiffany's anyone?


This was our first real 'stop' where we took a bathroom break and had coffee.  Or Dr. Pepper if you are me who doesn't drink coffee.


Everything in there was gold.  Not just the color either!  It's hard to see in this photo but this is a waterfall/fountain thing made out of solid gold. NICE.  I wanted to post a pic of the gold bathrooms but thought that might be inappropriate! 


When we left Trump Tower, the rain had begun.  I don't mind rain and I don't mind cold, but I mind rain AND cold.  And relentless rain. But, we trekked on.

These 'parks' pop up all over NYC.  Just places you can go and sit and not quite feel like you are surrounded by HUGE buildings and the hustle and bustle.


Some person with a ton of money got this piece of the Berlin Wall brought to NYC and it's stuck in a random place on the street between some office buildings.


Next we went in the Waldof Astoria.  I've stayed at the one in Orlando before but this was the original.  We stopped for another potty break (yes, I'm with about 15 women and 3 men).  The bathrooms were nicer than ones in people's houses.

From there, we headed over to the Grand Central Terminal.  Here they have the world's largest Apple store. I did not see it, nor do I care.




We ate lunch here before getting on the Subway.  There were neat little places to grab a bite to eat.  No fast food places.  They had pizza and salad and sandwiches and soups and more.  ZERO fried food.  That was nice to not even have the temptation!  I split a turkey and avocado sandwich and some fruit with my roommate.  Yes, that was my first taste of avocado.  I was impressed and have eaten some since.

After lunch, our guide handed out our tickets and we headed down to wait on our train.

I've ridden the Metro in DC many times so to me this was no different. Maybe I am wrong or maybe that's just me.  You just have to pay attention.

After we got off the Subway, we were close to the Brooklyn Bridge.  The rain was coming down worse and the temp must have dropped about 10 degrees.  Says the girl who left her jacket in the hotel!

This was as close to the BB as we got.  We were on a schedule and were headed toward the 911 Memorial.


These were taken inside the church that you saw on TV all during the 911 coverage.  It was just down the street from the Twin Towers and was virtually untouched. People would leave flowers and pictures of loved ones around the grounds and first responders would come in for a rest to get out of the elements and sometimes just pray or rest.


You can still see on the chairs and pews where the firefighters' hear scraped.  They haven't changed anything in there since that day.

This was just outside.  The only thing that happened to this area on 9/11 was that one tree was knocked over.  Amazing considering everything that happened literally right in front of here.



From here, we headed down to the 9/11 Memorial.  That deserves a separate post (see below).  It was breathtaking.

After the 9/11 memorial, our tour was over and we were soaked.  We contemplated hitting up Macy's but then decided we would rather catch the subway back and go change clothes.  So that's what we did. I never made it to Macy's but that's ok. There's always next time.


After we thawed out and dried off, we headed out to an Italian place called Cici's for dinner.  Yet another small and narrow place but this time the food was amazing.  We still had to wait because even though we had a reservation, they were not prepared for us.  At least we had plenty of time on this one.

After dinner, we headed out for our next show.  And yes, it was STILL raining.  

Tonight's show was Phantom of the Opera. We were supposed to see the Rockettes first show of their new tour or whatever, but the week before, they postponed everything until 2015.  So Phantom was a nice replacement.

We still had great seats too.

Now, Phantom is a favorite for a lot of people.  I've seen it before, just not on Broadway.  It was really good but I dozed off a few times.  I think I was just exhausted from going non-stop and there are some slooooow parts of it.


I am glad to say that I've seen it on Broadway now though.

After the show, a few of us decided to go to a local place for dessert that we'd heard so much about.  It's called Sardi's.


 Me and my roomie.  We did so much on this trip. We slept very little and played lots!

 This is their chocolate cake.  It's what I went for.  If you've ever been on a Carnival cruise, it's similar to the warm melting cake.  DIVINE.  And no telling how many calories.  And I don't care.


We were here after the show was over so it was around 11 or later.  People in NYC go out to EAT at that time.  Because they don't get up until lunch!

While we were eating, JOAN RIVERS walked in to have dinner.  I kid you not.  There is one photo of her but it's blurry.  She passed right by our table too.  After they were seated, she went up to the bathroom. When she was walking by our table, she turned to say something to the lady behind her and I turned around thinking she was talking to me. I almost died.  I know she's crazy and vulgar but it was fun.  

The staff there likes for them to feel at home and not bothered so we didn't get a picture of her (that was with consent) but the restaurant has caricatures all over the walls of people who have been in there. So we had to settle for this one.  Apparently, she comes in there a lot because the host told us her pic is front and center. 

He also told us that Vin Diesel was in the week before and he heard a group of girls at a table close to him just giggling and he went and joined them! How awesome!
 That was it for my famous person sightings! 

Until the next day!


Post a Comment