frolic

May 17, 2014

New York City Day 2 - Work Day

We got up bright and early to get ready for the one day we had to actually work while in NYC.  There is a HUGE Optical tradeshow at the Javits Center called Vision Expo East.  Almost all of our suppliers are there. Most everyone at our office has been to Vision East or Vision West (in Las Vegas) but I had not.  I have been wanting to go for years.

We caught a shuttle from the hotel to the Javits.  Then had a full day of walking the show floor and attending a luncheon/class.  I learned so much and had a great time meeting some of the people I talk to on a weekly basis.


I also decided on this trip that I was not going to take a ton of pictures. Instead, I was going to try and enjoy it. Plus, there was 16 other people with me constantly snapping photos.  All my photos were taken on my phone as I didn't want to carry my big camera.

After the show, we rode the shuttle back to the hotel to change clothes and get ready for dinner.  We went to a Thai place that I wasn't so sure about.  All the restaurants we went to were very narrow and small.  Before we went to the restaurant, my roommate and I had to go pick up our show tickets for that night.  Guess who was performing at the theater next to ours?  

LADY GAGA.  You talk about some people watching?  Those folks standing in line to get in were, um, interesting!

After we got the tickets, we met up with everyone at the restaurant.  It was just ok as well. The service was absolutely horrible.  We were there for almost 2 hours and I barely got to scarf down my food before we were late to the show.

The highlight was the piano guy.  He was from Boone, NC.  Small world as we have a friend that lives there.


He was really, really good.

After dinner, we literally ran to the August Wilson Theater.


We were there to see Jersey Boys!  This made the whole entire trip for me and we still had 2 days left!

I've seen Jersey Boys at the Orpheum in Memphis before and it was awesome. This show was just as good, if not better, just simply because you are basically in the same area they originated from (hence Jersey) so everyone outside talks the same, etc.  I tapped my foot and sang along and smiled the ENTIRE time.  Oh man, that was the best show I've ever seen.  


Bought my Mom a CD in hopes that she already had it and I could keep it.  And guess what?  She did. I've listened to it several times since then and each time it makes me smile.

Disclaimer: If you have never seen this show before, I totally recommend it.  BUT, it's about some bad boys from JERSEY.  So expect awful language but a great show.

After the show, most went back to the hotel after a long day.  Me and 3 other people decided to head over to Times Square and really experience it.  We saw the NYPD station, many strange characters, lots of cool stuff, and just all around FUN.  That never ends.  










I will say, for ME, Times Square was not all that is was cracked up to be.  But, if you like to shop, it's a good place to be. I don't have that kind of money!

We headed back to our hotel after midnight and went off to dreamland before another fun-filled day!
Post a Comment