frolic

March 18, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Bake

Here is another recipe that is really good, especially if you are wanting to be healthy.

If you have not tried the spaghetti squash as noodles trick yet, you are missing out!  It is just the same (to me) and is super healthy and low calorie.

A friend at work sent me this one that she eats most every day.  I can't because I get bored too easily but I do like it.  I make it on the weekends and freeze 3 of the 4 servings.  Then when I want them for lunch, I grab one out of the freezer, put it in the fridge, then microwave it for a few minutes.  It's that easy.  I throw in some frozen or steamed veggies to accompany it.

If you are counting calories, this one is under 200 per serving.

Healthy Lasagna

1# 8 ozs. (24 oz. total) Spaghetti  Squash (cooked, instructions below) I just cook one large spaghetti squash and throw it all in there!

8 oz. artichoke hearts (non-marinated, I buy the large jars at Sam’s)  I'll be honest, I leave these out.  Just simply because that is one veggie I can't seem to like.

2 c. spaghetti  sauce (make sure sugar 5th or lower)

12 oz. cooked and seasoned ground beef (I used deer meat to make it even leaner)

1 ½   oz. +  ½ oz.  Fresh grated Parmesan Cheese (You can buy the block but I just used the kind in a can)

Cook spaghetti squash by piercing several times with a knife and putting on a plate, microwave on hi for 5 mins, and turn it over ¼ turn. Repeat this 4 times for a total of 20-25 mins.  Remove carefully and cut in half, watch for steam, let cool and scoop out seeds and middle then dispose of.  Let it cool a bit more then use a fork to scrape out the spaghetti-textured squash into a large container. (My microwave cooked this in less than 20 mins so just keep an eye on it, when it's squishy like when you cook a potato, it's done)

Cook ground beef by browning with an onion (I don't use any onions usually) and green pepper and garlic.  I add some fresh oregano when I have it available.  Salt and Pepper to taste.  Drain well and rinse if you want all the fat out.  I sometimes use a package of ground sausage or even link sausage in the place of ground beef in this recipe, pre-cooking and draining first always.  Be sure to look for sugar content on sausage, the “Country Pleasin’” brand has low sugar, and both Kroger and WalMart carry it.  Chicken would also be good in this. If you leave out the cheese, you can put a total of 16 ozs. of meat in the recipe. 

Mix  all ingredients together, reserving ½ c. of cheese, pour into “Pam-sprayed”  9X12 Pyrex baking pan, and sprinkle rest of cheese on top.  Bake at 350 ‘til cheese is golden brown, about 30 mins.

Cut into 4 servings.  Delicious!    

I'm going to try it with chicken next time.
Post a Comment