frolic

March 9, 2014

Breakfast Recipe

In my quest to get healthier, I'm trying some new recipes.  I thought I would log them here in case they might be helpful to other people.

I love breakfast.  I just don't have time to cook it or eat it in the morning.  So, I usually grab something as we walk out the door.

Since this is the 'intentional' year for me, I've started doing a LOT of planning, cooking, etc.  Every Sunday I cook at least 1 breakfast and a few lunches to eat all week.

This is a recipe I saw while watching the last season of the Biggest Loser.  I thought it would be something I might actually eat and was easy to make.

Y'all???  It's sooo easy! I make enough to last all week and then some. 

http://www.biggestloser.com/nutrition/recipes/veggie-frittata-turkey-bacon

Nutritional Information
Calories 70 Fat 3g
Protein 8g Cholesterol 15mg
Carbohydrates 3g Sodium 190mg
Fiber 1g Saturated Fat 1g
Sugars 2g

Ingredients
1 (8-ounce) package JENNIE-O® Uncured Turkey Bacon
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ cup finely chopped red pepper
½ cup finely chopped green pepper
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
1 cup finely chopped asparagus
2 cups egg substitute or 8 eggs
¼ cup milk
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 cup shredded low-fat Swiss cheese
⅓ cup thinly sliced green onions

Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F. Mist 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Cook turkey bacon as specified on the package. Cut into ½-inch pieces and set aside.
In large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil, red and green pepper, mushrooms and asparagus. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are cooked.
In large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and parsley until well mixed. Stir in bacon, cheese, mushroom mixture and green onions.
Spoon mixture into muffin cups, filling approximately ¾ full. Bake 20 minutes or until set.

I've made many varieties of this recipe.  I've not included the asparagus or the green onions just simply because I never had them when making this.  Or mushrooms because I don't eat those.

Make sure to add some salt.  I also used real eggs and not egg substitute.  I also made one with turkey sausage instead of bacon.  If you try that, don't use a whole pound, it was too much!





I've made these for about 3 weeks in a row now so I'm taking a break from them this week.  I made sausage muffins tonight with turkey sausage and added a half a bell pepper.  It made a TON so I'll be eating on those a while!

I'll try to post my spaghetti squash dish I made last week sometime soon.

Hope you enjoy if you make this!



Post a Comment