frolic

July 23, 2013

Be Deliberate

I had a lady tell me recently to be deliberate in every aspect of my life.

That's tough.

But, I've been thinking about those words a lot lately.

Deliberate.  To carefully weigh or consider something, study it.

Man, that's strong.  To carefully consider something.  How many people do that?

I know, when it comes to our children, we Moms carefully consider a ton of things.  What preschool to send them to?  What daycare to use?  Whether to stay at home or go back to work?  We consider all the pros and cons.  We nitpick every little detail.

Yet sometimes, we act without thinking at all.  Most times.  Mess with my kids?  You get the wrath of Mama.  And yeah, thinking?  Never crossed my mind.

Be deliberate in every aspect of your life.

Dave Ramsey teaches us to be deliberate with our finances.  Watch every penny you spend.  Know where it's going before it goes.  Tough I tell ya.  Budgeting is NOT one of my spiritual gifts.  I struggle with it.  Sometimes I wish I had married an accountant.  Sorry honey!  I also wish I had all the money I could ever need.  Then this budgeting would not even be an issue.  Plus, I would do some GREAT things with extra money.  I like to spread the love.

Be deliberate.

We learn from an early age about eating the right foods.  Less junk. More vegetables.  We know the right things to eat, but does that stop us from eating fried catfish or chicken?  NOPE.  To quote one of my favorite books, A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Boomama, "Because while I'm not good at much, gaining weight is something that I see to be able to do fairly effortlessly.  Perhaps I'm just gifted in that area."  This quote is me to a T!  I'm better at gaining it than losing.  But being deliberate about what I eat has gotten more important the older I get.  I have to plan and carefully consider every meal.  I have to plan out meals for the week so I'll know whether or not I have to go to the grocery store and if so, what to get.  I have to measure out my snacks.  I have to make sure I have enough fruits and veggies for me and my family to eat.

It gets exhausting.

School starts back for Big Sister in less than 2 weeks now.  So sad that her summer is almost over, when it seems as though it just began.  We get to start being deliberate with schedules again.  Uniforms again.  

Being deliberate is no fun.  I think that's why it's easier to just go with the flow.

I'll be honest.  It was way easier to be more deliberate before my kids came along.  I guess because I had more time.  I feel like some days now I don't even have time to go to the bathroom alone, much less time to make a budget.  I used to LOVE having a super clean house.  Now?  I'm lucky if that floor gets swept once a week.  Call me a slob all you want.  I just chose to play instead of clean all the time.

Life tends to get in the way of being deliberate, of carefully considering anything.  Time has a way of getting away from us all.  

The real question is how to we stay deliberate?  How do we make time?  How do we prioritize our activities?  Our life?  It's a full-time job to keep up with life.  To stay organized.

I just have to hope that my kids are healthy and happy.  The rest can wait.  Right now, they are the priority.  But I can't forget there are other things in my life.  My husband.  My friends.  My family.

I have to remember I can't be everything to everyone.  I can't control the person who shows up late every day and takes an hour and a half lunch and leaves at the same time I do every afternoon.  I can't control the person who can't keep their commitments.  I have to remember that I can only control ME.

All this is, of course, easier said that done.

And yes, I've carefully considered this post for quite some time.  It helps to get it all out there.

Be deliberate in every aspect of your life.



Post a Comment