frolic

June 21, 2013

Maroon Friday Edition - College World Series

Everybody knows I love my Bulldogs.  If you didn't, you must be living under a rock.  Just kidding!

My all-time favorite MSU sport is baseball.  I am not a bandwagon fan.  You can ask my friend Julie(Happy birthday SS #1)
We've been too MANY an MSU game with heaters and blankets and plenty with fans and lots of sweat.  We've cried.  We've cheered.  We've had heart attacks (not literally but CLOSE, have you watched our first 2 games of the CWS?  HEART ATTACK CENTRAL).

I've been a fan of MSU baseball for a longtime (and ok, sometimes a little over the top).  My brother went to baseball camp there when Will 'The Thrill' Clark was there.  I remember that team.  Man, they were good.

When I was in college, I wanted to be a Diamond Girl.  When I didn't make it 2 years in a row, I realized it was a blessing. Those girls (mostly) are there to find a husband!  Julie and I had the knowledge of the game and the team.  

I will say, we had WAY more fun sitting in the chairbacks for many a year cheering them on!  We've done the 'chicken dance' so many times I've lost count.  We've experienced the SEC tournament at Hoover Met.  I can't wait to take my kids there one day.

The one thing we haven't experienced is the College World Series.  Well, actually IN Omaha.  I really wanted to go before they tore down the old Rosenblatt but it didn't happen.  One year, when the kids are older, I might have to take out a 2nd mortgage but I will (and Julie too!) make it to TD Ameritrade Park for the College World Series.

I know, I'm not a girly girl! haha. And this shocks? NO ONE.

I said early in this season that this year's team is special.  I follow a good many of them on Twitter.  I've seen them play in Starkville.  

They are selfless.  They are humble.  They are the Cinderella team this year.

I'll take it.

They tweet Bible verses.  They tweet pics of their teammates.  They tweet thank yous to the fan.  They are good ole boys!

Every single interview I've seen this year with a player, NONE of them take credit.  They all say they couldn't do it without the rest of the team.  

When I saw them play in Starkville MONTHS ago, one of the players 'walk out' song (when they come to bat, they pick the song that plays over PA system) was Chris Tomlin's Whom Shall I Fear (God of Angel Armies).  Pretty special when he comes to bat and you hear this:
I know Who goes before me  
I know Who stands behind  
The God of angel armies  
Is always by my side  
The One who reigns forever  
He is a Friend of mine  
The God of angel armies  
Is always by my side

That guy?  Trey Porter.  A guy from a MS hometown (950 population) who had the game winning hit in our win Monday night.

See, special!

This ESPN article pretty much sums it up! 

But, that article is still not my favorite.  

This one is.  The team visited Omaha Children's Hospital on their day off yesterday.  Bob's story moved me to tears.  So special.

You never know what is going on with someone.  Or what they've been through.

This team is special.  Win or lose today or tomorrow, they have captured the hearts of America.  I could not be more proud to be an MSU Bulldog!


Post a Comment