frolic

May 16, 2013

Rant for the Day

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that I just might offend someone with this post.  If so, I'm sorry.  If you don't like it, don't read it.  It's my blog.  My words.  My thoughts.  My observations. 

Each and every day I am appalled at the amount of people in this world, and my community, that are so self-absorbed.  They have no clue what is going on in the community.  They do not read the newspaper.  They don't read social media.  Well, they do plenty of social media. They just don't seem to read about the events going on in their town.

People are so absorbed into their lives that they are not aware of anything outside their circle.  

Why does it matter to so many people that 100 people camped out for free chicken?  It's a promo the company does at each new store opening.  And from what I hear, they did a fine job of it.  And yes, it is just chicken.  But it's free. For a year.  Mostly.  If you are a poor college kid or a mom of a bunch of kids, there is a great savings there.  

Or if you don't agree with their beliefs and values, I get that.  But support new business and don't trash them.  I love when my town gets new business and, here lately, we are getting a ton of it.  They won't survive if everyone is negative.  The only way our community can grow is to be supportive of whatever new business (and current businesses) are in town.

But this isn't about that.  It's about the fact that people post way too much of their lives via social media.  We know when people go to the bathroom (hello all you moms that posted on FB when your kid pooped in the potty the first time, yes, big milestone, I just don't want to read about it), we know what people have for dinner (seriously, I don't care what you or your hubby made, unless you are coming to my house to share it), and we know who you were with and when you were with them.

Let's be honest.  Social media can be fun.  But there is a time and place for it all.  The only (and I state ONLY) reason I still have an active FB account is so my friends and family who live far away can see my children grow up in pictures. Yes, they could read my blog but some are older and it's a big deal just for them to be on FB.

I'm so tired of all the ads.  All the recipes.  All the crap that is FB.  Pinterest is for recipes.  That's why I'm not on Pinterest.  I don't need any extra pressure to bake the perfect dessert or plan the perfect birthday party.  I have enough of that already.

I'm tired of every single time that I log on to check my notifications or messages, and eventually scroll down the news feed some, I have to start deleting or hiding people.  It's a bit ridiculous.

I also don't like that FB messaging seems to be the preferred method of communication for most people.  I understand that some people you don't talk to on a regular basis might need your address for a wedding or shower invite.  But, what happened to old fashioned emailing them?  Or texting them?  Or (OMG) calling them?  Granted, I'm not a phone talker (surprised?) but it's a good way to connect.  Or reconnect.

I guess I really needed to get all that off my chest.  I think this weekend I'm going to delete the FB app off my phone so I won't even be tempted to look at it.  We are blocked at work so that's not a problem.  If you need to get in touch with me, you can email me at erinhern @ yahoo.com.  Or follow me on Twitter or Instagram.  Or call or text me.  Not putting that all over the WWW.

Or better yet, summer is here for my kiddo (well, next week) so if you are in town and want to do lunch, let me know!
Post a Comment