frolic

March 5, 2013

New Recipe

If you know me well, you know I'm not the chef of the family.  That term belongs to my dear old hubby.  He loves to cook.  He doesn't get to do it as often as he'd like, but he still loves doing it.

Me?  Not so much.  I did NOT get that I love to cook gene.  Don't get me wrong, I can cook a mean PB&J or grilled cheese sandwich.  I learned to cook a little bit in college, when you know, sometimes you have to if you want to eat...

I prefer baking.  Cookies, brownies, cakes, etc.  You know, from a box.  HA.  There are a few cookies I like to make from scratch but not many.

As my kids get older and knowing that my hubby's crappy work schedule won't change anytime soon, I decided I needed to start cooking more.  A little less Mac N Cheese and a little more real food.

I'm a work in progress and will always be.  But I'm working on it.

Here is a recipe that I started making and both my kids love it.  It's good but not my favorite, but if both of them like to eat it, by golly, I'm going to cook it.

I'm not even sure where this recipe came from.  My mom maybe?  It's super easy.  I make it the night before and put it in the fridge so when we get home at 5:30, I can just put it in the oven for 25 minutes or so while it cooks. 

Last night, we went walking/running/scootering around the neighborhood, since DST is this weekend and they days are already longer.  I chased the oldest while she was on her scooter and pushed the youngest in her car.  Successful trip in getting me some exercise and the oldest some energy release!  The little one loves riding in her car so she was just happy as could be.

The recipe is called Zesty Cresty.
Ingredients
  • 1 to 1 ½ lb. ground beef or beef and sausage mixture (better with mixture)
  • 1 package spaghetti sauce (I didn't even know this existed. The 1st time I cooked it, I used real spaghetti sauce. Don't recommend that.)
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 ½ cup of sour cream
  • 1 package crescent rolls
  • ½ cup Parmesan cheese
  • ¾ cup Mozzarella cheese (I may or may not have used my string cheese cut up into small chunks)
  • 3 Tablespoons margarine (2 tbs is more than enough)
  • Parsley Flakes

Preparation
1.         Brown ground beef. Drain. Add tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce mix.
2.         Heat until hot or bubbly.  Remove from heat.
3.         Mix mozzarella with sour cream and spread over meat mixture in casserole dish.
4.         Cover with crescent rolls.
5.         Mix melted margarine, Parmesan cheese and parsley flakes.
6.         Spread over crescent rolls.
7.         I put mine in the fridge after this and left it overnight.
8.         Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until brown.

I used a 9x9 pan and it was plenty big enough.  The last time I used a 13x9 and it was too big.  Another thing I did was mix the meat mixture and the sour cream/cheese mix.  I also added 2 spoonfuls of steamed cauliflower to it. You cannot tell a difference. And my kids and I are getting more veggies.

I steamed a pack of mixed veggies (corn, carrots, peas and green beans) to go with this dish.  Last time I made it, we just ate this with no sides.

My kids both cleaned their plates, which is rare for my little one.  They were both rewarded with fun dessert!  HA. Ice cream sandwich for Big Sister and Nilla Wafers for her sister.

We are a work in progress.  See, I didn't even think to take any pictures.  I didn't really think about blogging about this until they were both done and requesting it for supper tonight as well.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Post a Comment