frolic

February 1, 2013

Working Moms

When my kid started kindergarten this year, I knew I wanted to be as involved with the school as I could be.  I filled out my PTO form the first week of school and sent in my money. I got a nice sticker to go on my car in support of her school.

When I filled out said form, I said I was willing to help with fundraising, specifically, counting/entering Box Tops.  I wasn't sure what was involved but was sure it was a ton of work.

A few weeks went by and I never heard from anyone.  There were 2 or 3 PTO meetings but I was never able to attend because it was always when my hubby was at work and I was not about to drag my 2 wild ones up there with me.  I'm sure people do it but I wasn't going to be one of them.  Say whatever you want about me but I can't get anything done with either kid, especially a busy one year old.  I would rather just keep them at home and hear about the meeting later.

Needless to say, I forgot I marked anything on said form.  

Until yesterday. 

I got a call from the PTO President.  Very nice, hardworking lady.  We talked for a while and she asked if I could come by the school on Friday mornings and help them count Box Tops.

I told her I would do what I can but I worked.  Even though my schedule is pretty flexible, I'm, you know, still expected to be in the building for my 40 hours.  They kind of like that.  

When I said that I worked, she was taken off guard.

Her words were something like this, "Oh, you work?  I didn't know that."

Just imagine her saying it with lots of shock.  It wasn't really WHAT she said but how she said it.

Look, it's 2013 (thanks JBA) and yes we moms work.  

Don't get my wrong, I admire those who are able/choose to stay home with their kids.  

It's not for me.

(My friend Krisa posted this article on FB the other day and I sooooo love it.)

I love my kids.  They are my world.  But you know what?  My office is quiet.  8 hours of quiet.  If you have ever met my kids (or me for that matter), you know what a commodity QUIET is.

Laugh if you will.  I don't care.

I choose to work outside my home.  Why?  For my sanity.  And the paycheck is nice too.  With a shift working husband, I would be in charge of kiddos some weeks, for days at a time, all on my own.  Kudos to you single moms.

Well, technically I am in charge of kids 24/7 but I do get a break during the day.  I know, you all were thinking that.  I'm pretty thankful to have a Mom and Dad who are a huge help, along with many other family members.

And no, I don't get it all done.  It's a DAILY struggle to get supper fixed and in the bellies before baths and homework and bedtime.  (Although, I do love some sweet cuddle after bath time.)  But my floors haven't been swept in a week.  My house hasn't been dusted in probably a year.  Gross, I know.  It's just one of those things that doesn't bother me anymore.

I was just so surprised at her reaction.  I guess she thinks that because I work, that I can't help too.  Well, I showed her.  I did something that takes them a week or so to do - In an hour.

Yeah, I'm cool.  And I work.  And my kids are smart and happy happy happy.

So that's my rant for the day.

And no, I'm not knocking anybody here.  Well, maybe the lady that said it, but that's all. 
Post a Comment