frolic

December 17, 2012

A Christmas Prayer

So much has happened since I last posted Wed. of last week.  Hard to imagine just how much.  And how awful.

I felt different when I dropped off my kindergartner this morning.  No, I wasn't fearful.  I just made sure not to yell and rush as much.  I made double sure to tell her that I loved her and to have a good day.  We did not discuss the latest news.  Why?  We never discuss news.  She's 5.  I didn't watch the news til I was in college, except for when I watched sports in high school.

So many people are on social media blasting gun rights, or taking God out of our schools and so many other reasons.  They gripe and complain and that is so NOT the place for that kind of stuff.  No place is really.

I've read 2 things this morning that have said it best.  Basically, this situation sucks and I have bawled my eyes out over it.  But, you never really know when it's your time to go to your eternal home, do you?

I will never EVER understand the loss of children.  Especially now as a parent.  Some people are just selfish and need help.

Here are 2 posts that I think say it better than anybody else.

This post is from Max Lucado, whom I respect a TON.

Dear Jesus,

It's a good thing you were born at night. This world sure seems dark. I have a good eye for silver linings. But they seem dimmer lately.

These killings, Lord. These children, Lord. Innocence violated. Raw evil demonstrated. 

The whole world seems on edge. Trigger-happy. Ticked off. We hear threats of chemical weapons and nuclear bombs. Are we one button-push away from annihilation?

Your world seems a bit darker this Christmas. But you were born in the dark, right? You came at night. The shepherds were nightshift workers. The Wise Men followed a star. Your first cries were heard in the shadows. To see your face, Mary and Joseph needed a candle flame. It was dark. Dark with Herod's jealousy. Dark with Roman oppression. Dark with poverty. Dark with violence.
Herod went on a rampage, killing babies. Joseph took you and your mom into Egypt. You were an immigrant before you were a Nazarene.

Oh, Lord Jesus, you entered the dark world of your day. Won't you enter ours? We are weary of bloodshed. We, like the wise men, are looking for a star. We, like the shepherds, are kneeling at a manger. 

This Christmas, we ask you, heal us, help us, be born anew in us.

Hopefully,

Your Children

Pretty powerful huh?

The other was from Big Mama.  I don't always agree with what she has to say, but this time, she's right on.

Hug your babies and tell them you love them EVERY day, not just in the wake of this latest tragedy.
Post a Comment