frolic

June 11, 2012

Keeping It Real Monday

Hello friends and readers,

You've been through quite a lot with me on this little blog. Ups and downs and in between.

Today, I just need to write and for you to listen. This is hard for me to talk about so it's much easier to just write.

My 10 year anniversary is Friday. Sooo happy.  

The engagement ring my husband gave me 10 years is now at the bottom of Lake Bruin.

Yep, I just wrote that.  I'm still in shock.

Long story short, I took them off while swimming and gave them to someone on the pier. When I got done swimming, she was taking them off when it slipped off her finger and (I swear in sloooooow motion) I watched it fall between the cracks of the pier. And just like that, it was gone.

Gone. To the bottom of a murky lake.

And for those of you who don't know about Lake Bruin, no amount of diving will ever find it.

And yes, I know I shouldn't have worn it out there. Or taken them off and given them to someone.

Believe me, I have gone over it all in my head 10000000 times since Saturday afternoon.

I can't begin to imagine how that poor girl felt. She was devastated and humiliated. Luckily, I hugged her neck before she left.  I wanted her to know there were no hard feelings.

As my unemotional and unsentimental husband said, "It doesn't make us any less married."

Bless him. I love that man.

But, I can't say that it hasn't affected me.  It has.   It has consumed my thoughts.  I've replayed it over and over and over in my head.  I've watched it in my brain.  I can't stop thinking about what's next.

No, it doesn't mean I'm getting a divorce. HA. Some people might just think that.

The hubby and I picked out that ring together.  Ok, I picked out and showed him what I wanted and knew WE could afford. Yes, we.  We paid for it together.  After 6.5 years with the man, I was READY to get married.  All I wanted was a ring so I could have my candlelight ceremony with my sorority and plan a big party!

It was not my grandmother's ring or my mom's diamond so it held no heirloom value.  It was strictly sentimental.

So yeah, I keep telling myself that it's 'just a piece of metal' and not be worried with worldly things because as my dad says "You can't take it with you."  I tell myself that over and over and over.

It doesn't help.  At least not yet.  It's still too raw.  As is this blog post.

So thanks friends, for letting me get this out.  I needed to.  I can't talk about it in person without crying.

So come Friday, the hubby and I will have been married for 10 years.  I guess it's time for an upgrade! 

On the ring, not the husband.  I think I'll keep him.