frolic

June 15, 2012

A Decade

6-15-2002 to 6-15-2012

Today, the hubby and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary.

Really? When did that happen?
 We have been together since our sophomore year of high school.  In case you don't do math, we were 16 (and a half technically). We have officially been 'together' for 16 and a half years.

Hard to believe.

What's even harder to believe?

That I feel like I love him more and more every day.

Sappy, I know.

He's a great husband and father.  He's a tough guy but has a soft spot in the way of 2 little girls.  He's the level headed one and I'm the emotional one.  He's a mamma's boy who has had a tough life.  Some of the things he's gone through in his 32 years, no one ever should have to go through.

I won't lie.  It's isn't always easy.  Especially with him working shift work. Yeah, the money is good but it's not always about the money. Sometimes I want to punch him.  And I'm sure he would like to do the same to me.

They say the first year of marriage is the hardest.  Not for us.  It was like the next chapter of our lives since we had already been together for 6 years when we tied the knot.

The second year?  That one was a bit harder.  We moved and had to live apart for about 3 months.  That year was rough, but we survived.

Throw kids in the mix and things always gets stressful.

When we were doing our pre-marital counseling, our preacher asked us to read a book called His Needs, Her Needs.  What a great book!  It has such great perspective on what each partner needs the most.  It really opened my eyes back then (such a long time ago!) and we still pull it out from time to time.

I am in no way an expert (think I've said that before) but here are a few things that have helped us over the past decade:

1.   One of the things that we have found to help us when we can't seem to communicate is writing things down.  Leave a note on the counter, or on his pillow.  Or on his truck window.   We both feel like we can write things that we sometimes can't say.

2.   Say I love you. A lot. Not just when getting off the phone but actually TO each other. Face to face. NOT via Facebook or Twitter.

3.   Praise each other.  When your spouse does something nice, say thank you.  Tell them you appreciate how hard they work.  This is a tough one to remember to do.

4.   Be each other's best friend.  Be on the same side.  Have each other's backs.

5.   The best verse in the Bible (to me regarding marriage) is James 1:19.  Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger.  Big words.  Hard actions.

The past 10 years have been the best of my life.  We've experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.  And we've survived.

I love that man more now than I ever have.  So thankful to have him in my life.

Cheers to 50 more years!
Post a Comment