frolic

December 22, 2011

Las Vegas

Back at the end of October, I got to take my first trip to Las Vegas.  I have a cousin who lives there but I've never been able to go visit.

I work for such a great company and our owners were kind enough to send the entire office (in 2 separate trips) to Vegas.  They had been to Zappos for a tour and loved it.  They thought the staff could benefit from taking the Zappos Insights Tours.

This is what we got to experience, kind of.  Zappos is a great place to work and is GREAT for Las Vegas, which has a 14% unemployment rate.



Before we went, we were asked to read the book written by the guy (Tony Hsieh, pronounced Shay) called Delivering Happiness.  Wow, it was good.  Kind of all over the place but so is he and his life.  He's a smart (and YOUNG) guy who has already made millions but still comes to work most every day. He's also doing his part to revitalize old Las Vegas.

When we got back, we were asked to give our overall thoughts and takeaways.  Then last month, we all were asked to submit 3 ideas to build our business in 2012.  We had some great entries and the winner's ideas will all be put in place in the coming year.  The owners gave each person who submitted an idea a $100 American Express gift card.  The #1 winner got a 52" TV. That thing is HUGE.  The #2 idea got an iPad 2.  The #3 idea got a Kindle Fire.

I am happy to say I am the proud owner of this Kindle Fire!

geek.com
I really like it but haven't really had time to figure it all out.  Maybe after the holidays are over.

All in all, it was a quick but amazing trip.  It was sad to leave my baby for a few days but she was in great hands with Nana and Papaw.

My next post will be Las Vegas in pictures.  I have a ton so beware!
Post a Comment