frolic

August 31, 2011

Birth Story

Sorry for the lack of posting lately but I prefer to spend my time watching the many faces of a usually sleeping dimple faced 2 week old!

I do want to post about baby sister's birth story.  I will try to not be too graphic but would like to at least have a record of it.  If you are afraid it's TMI, then don't read it.  If not, enjoy!

First off, I have to give kudos to my hubby.  He has been extremely helpful since #2 came along.  He might be the laziest person I know but he's really come through, so far.  I just hope it lasts longer than 2 weeks.  K, Honey?

Now, off to discuss birth.  If you don't want to read about it, STOP here.  Or carry on.  Up to you.

WARNING: Super long post.

I went to the hospital on the morning of August 18th for a regular non-stress test.  I did not bring my bags or car seat.  I was fully prepared to go to work after I was done.  I was seriously trying the reverse psychology trick thinking if I was prepared to go to work and not stay, maybe the good Dr. would keep me.

Who was the first person I saw when I got to the L and D floor?  That's right.  The good Dr.  I started my case immediately.  I was sooooo tired of being hot and uncomfortable.

After I got all hooked up, the first BP reading was slightly high (140/85).  My wonderful nurse came in and told me that he was considering keeping me for induction if I had one more high BP.  i had 10-15 minutes to think about it before the machine took another reading.  My sis in law is texting me things trying to get my blood boiling and my pressure up.  I started doing exercises in the bed.  It was quite entertaining.  When the machine took my BP, it read 146/90.  BINGO. 

My nurse came in and asked how I did that.  I just laughed.  Then I caved and told her I was exercising.  She laughed and told me she was going to pretend she didn't hear that but she was going to discuss with the Dr.

SCORE!  He decided to get the show on the road.  HALLELUJAH! 

Of course, my next BP reading was like 118/82.  She advised him to not look at the monitor and continue writing orders.

He went to the office and left me to my nurse.  I called the hubby and woke him up to tell him it was BABY DAY!  Then I had to text the world and get everything in motion.

We took our time starting all the meds since I was already 3 cm dilated and contracting somewhat regularly.  Hubby showed up around 9 or 10 and then we really started the IV and total process around 10:30.

Mom came by to bring the hubby some lunch as I stared at him longingly.  I was starving already.  I did sneak in some peanut butter crackers at one point.

Then, it was a waiting game.  The medicine started working but the contractions weren't too bad, yet.

A little after lunch, the good Dr. came in to check me and break my water.  With my first kiddo, after they broke my water, things sped up pretty quickly.  So I told my nurse that.

The Dr. broke my water (nasty!) and my nurse 'upped' my medicine.

Then the contractions came.  Man, they were rough.  I was hot and my poor hubby was freezing.  I was so hot that I was sweating profusely (gross, I know).  My awesome nurse offered my some drugs to hold me over til the Dr. came to give me my epidural.  I gladly accepted.  My contractions were so hard at this point that I didn't even have the energy or want to change the channel off the weather.  Apparently, it was storming outside.  As soon as she put the drugs in the IV, it all changed.  She gave me a double dose too.  God bless her.  She was awesome.

A short while later, the hubby got kicked out and the anesthesiologist came in to give me my epidural.  He was so wonderful.  We struck up a conversation about Zappo's (long story).  I told him how bad my epidural was with my first and he told me that wouldn't be the case again.  Did I mention he was awesome?

Then came the time when you have to sit very still through contractions, etc. while he puts the medicine in your spine.  My contractions were coming about every 2 minutes at this point.  He finished and then pulled up a chair beside  me to check my vitals and make sure the medicine took.  After about 15 minutes and me still feeling every contraction, he decided that it didn't take and he would have to try again.   I was fine with that, knowing I wanted a better one that I had last time.  He told me the spaces between my spine were very tight.  I have no idea if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  He tried again and kept telling me how wonderful I was doing.

After an hour and a half of trying to get my numb, it finally worked.  Although I thought I was going to come up out of the bed when he RIPPED the tape off m back to start over, the 2nd one took and all was good.

He even came by 3 more times just to make sure I was still numb in all the right places.  He also came to my room the next night to check on me again.  I thanked and thanked him for all he did.  He was wonderful.  Awesome, remember?

Back to the delivery room.  Once my water broke and I got my epidural, I was like 8 or 9 centimeters dilated.  I told you, I go fast after my water breaks.

I'm not even sure what time it is at this point.  Late afternoon?  The waiting room was full of friends and family.

A short time later, my nurse gets the room ready for delivery.  Then, it's GO time.

Pushing time.

I think I pushed maybe 10 times.  We laughed and joked and the atmosphere was amazing.  I am really really lucky to have a great place, in my hometown, the deliver among friends. 

After a few pushes, my nurse tells me to stop or the good Dr. wouldn't make it in time.  So we all holler out the door for him to hurry up.  Of course, he comes in and I push like twice and out come a beautiful and loud 7 pound and 7 ounce baby girl.  He handed her off to the nursery nurse who cleaned her up and took all her measurements.  Hubby did a great job of telling the masses.  He had my phone and his sending texts and posting to FB, etc.


Pushing and delivery with #2 was soooo much easier than my first.  I am not sure if it was the epidural that made the difference this time or the fact that I knew what to expect.  Other than the hour of hard contractions before they gave me drugs, this delivery was pretty easy.  And even though this is my last, I am glad to say that I've had 2 vaginal deliveries.

I will spare you all the after details but we did get to spend a few minutes with baby sister before big sister came in.  That was a pretty special moment.  Although, big sister didn't like all the 'white' stuff on her. 

After only an hour for friends and family to see her, the nurse took her to the nursery for all the other stuff they have to check after delivery.  Most of the crowd dispersed at this point and the hubby went to get supper.  I was left in the L and D room to just chill.  I had a quiet room for probably the last time for the next 18 years.  I tried to get some rest but couldn't stop smiling.

I knew that one long awaited journey was ending as another was beginning.  I was so happy that I just thanked God for such a blessing.

It was an amazing day.  Everything about it was absolutely amazing.  What a miracle.

All I could think of was 1 Samuel 1:27: For this child, we have prayed and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of him.





Post a Comment