frolic

August 2, 2010

Live Like You Were Dying

Yes, I know that's a popular song by Tim McGraw. And yes, I also love the one by Kris Allen. But the message is oh so true.

I have the privilege of helping teach our church youth group Sunday School class. The past few weeks, the lesson has been on Paul and his journey. Last Sunday's lesson was about dying. In fact, the lead in in the lesson was that there are only 2 sure things in life - death and taxes. We know most kids in our youth, ok all, are not worried about taxes. But death is something that none of us can avoid.

Kind of has me thinking about some things. One of the other teachers told a story about her uncle who recently died from cancer. He told his doctor that it didn't matter how much or how little time he had left because there is only one person that knows the true answer and that's his God. How true is that? He told his family that as soon as you are born, you are moving toward death. Sounds kind of morbid but it's true.

No one knows when their time to go is. It could be tomorrow. It could be in 50 years. God is the only one who knows when that time will be. We need to live every day like it's our last. It's a hard task to do because we take sooooo much for granted. We are so structured and scheduled that we forget the little things in life. Spending quality time with God, spending quality time with family, spending quality time with our friends.

Ever since preparing for that lesson last week, I've been thinking about things. There have been people in my life who have passed on to what I think is a much better life. But can I be sure they went to Heaven and not hell? The only way I know for sure is that I know their salvation because I shared mine with them or know someone else that did. Some I don't know. And it eats me up inside to know that I DON'T know.

So what to do with all this? Pray about it. I started yesterday. I'm hoping I can be more of a witness to everyone in my life, whether I know their salvation or not. I have to live like it's MY last day.

So friends, in the words of Kris Allen:
We only got 86 400 seconds in a day
To turn it all around or throw it all away
We gotta tell ‘em that we love ‘em while we got the chance to say,
Gotta live like we’re dying

Or Tim McGraw:
Like tomorrow was a gift and you got eternity to think about
what'd you do with it what did you do with it
what did I do with it
what would I do with it'

Either way, live like you're dying. And the world will be a better place. You never know?

Just remember that Jesus is not just a life saver, He's also a life giver. And by His wounds, we are healed.

E
Post a Comment