frolic

August 17, 2010

Divorce

I don't get it. Really don't get it? Does anybody care about the sacred vows they spoke at their wedding? To have and to hold, to LOVE and to cherish, for better or WORSE, in sickness and in health? Everyone has a variation of those words in their ceremony. Right? Then why don't they choose to live by those words?


I'm not going to lie. Marriage is hard. Wives submit to your husbands. Husbands be the head of the family. These are Biblical principles that not many people abide by anymore.

What I don't understand is why people don't even try. Why not seek counseling? Why not communicate with one another? If you had problems before you got married, then you probably shouldn't have gotten married in the first place. 

No marriage is perfect. None. Nada. They all take work. Some just choose to do the work, while others bow out.

And no, my marriage is not in question. While I do understand that their are certain circumstances where a man and a woman no longer need to be married, that's rarely the case. People just give up too easily.

I can tell you one of the main reasons. And no, I'm not an expert. Only been married 8 years so that does not make me an expert. But I know that if you put Christ at the center of your marriage, it will be much better off. Make church a family event. And make it as often as you can. Yeah, there are some Sundays I would rather lay in the bed because that's the day my kiddo ALWAYS sleeps in, but I still make every effort to go and worship. It's important to me. It's important to my family. That's how I was brought up (thanks Mom and Dad) and that's how I want my children to be brought up. I want to wake up on Sunday mornings and know that it's not even a question of whether we are attending church or not. Unless my or the kiddo is sick or we are out of town, we are there. Fellowshipping, singing, praising, praying, and all of the above.

It's a great feeling when I leave after a good Sunday morning worship. I feel ready to tackle my week knowing I have the best ammo ever, the Lord is on my side!

"Our country won't change if we get a better president. Our country will change when we get better marriages." - D. Foster
E
Post a Comment